Skip to content
- Senate committee hears testimony on GOP bills that would change tenant-landlord relationship, limit municipal powers – Cap Times, Dec. 14, 2017
- “What you are doing is not only putting victims of domestic violence at risk but lots of other tenants at risk of remaining homeless or becoming homeless because they can’t get a landlord to rent to them,” Tenant Resource Center director Brenda Konkel said.
- Lawmakers Consider Several Changes to Tenant-Landlord Laws – Wisconsin Public Radio, Dec. 13, 2017
- Wisconsin bill would change tenant, landlord regulations, limit municipal power – Cap Times, Dec. 12, 2017
- With additional funds, Tenant Resource Center can return services to all of Dane County – Wis. State Journal, Aug. 9. 2017
- In raft of state law changes, tenants lost ground to landlords – Wis. State Journal, June 8, 2016
- It’s not just for renters – Isthmus, May 4, 2015
- Landlord seeks eviction, cleanup costs where Tony Robinson was killed – Channel3000.com, April 2, 2015
- “The city police department has a $60 million city budget. They would hardly even notice that $1,100. It seems to me to be more appropriate that the police department pay for that,” said Brenda Konkel, executive director of the Tenant Resource Center for Housing Justice.
- Budget listening session held in Sun Prairie – Cambridge News and Deerfield Independent, Sept 13, 2015
- Madison’s Moving Days – WKOW, Aug. 15, 2015
- Welcome to Petersonville: Madison landlord says he’s providing a service; others call him a slumlord – Cap Times, June 3, 2015
- “It’s a dilemma a lot of us who help people find housing have is you can rent from (Peterson), but you know the apartment is going to be under standards,” said Tenant Resource Center executive director Brenda Konkel. “It might be housing for a little while, but when most of us talk about renting from him it’s like use this as a temporary place until you can find another.”
- Residents face record heat without air conditioning – Channel3000.com, July 17, 2012
- Property Trax: State bill to strengthen landlord rights help up in Senate committee after contentious public hearing – Wis. State Journal, Feb. 16, 2012.
- Madison Apartment Vacancy Hits Historic Low – Channel3000.com, Nov. 29, 2011
- Wisconsin Renters Face New Rules – Channel 3000.com, Nov. 15, 2011
- Critics of the law said the low vacancy rate naturally shifts rights to the landlord, leaving tenants at a disadvantage.
- “So it’s definitely already a landlord’s market,” said Brenda Konkel, with the Tenant Resource Center. “And the free market isn’t going to fix this one until we build more affordable housing.”
- Housing specialists: MPM policy illegal – Daily Cardinal, Oct. 28, 2011
- Renter protections would be ‘wiped out’ by fast-tracked Republican measure, advocates warn – Cap Times, June 8, 2011
- Does Madison’s chronic nuisance law spur evictions? – Isthmus, Oct. 29, 2009